PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > ROM Hacking > ROM Hack Projects

ROM Hack Projects Find and play great Pokémon ROM Hacks here, or post your own hack project.
Note: This is not a place to recruit members for a team.

Closed Thread

Old 17th October 2013, 12:14 AM   #1
Linkandzelda
RHO つぃちょう
Webmaster

Linkandzelda Linkandzelda
Send a message via AIM to Linkandzelda Send a message via MSN to Linkandzelda Send a message via Skype™ to Linkandzelda
Default Pokémon: Yellow Advance [Alpha 1]

~Introduction & Welcome~
Hey there everyone, I’m Linkandzelda, you may know me from Pokémon: Liquid Crystal and being the webmaster here. Some people might not be expecting this to be posted, a few might know about it and for others it will be totally new. Pokémon Yellow is how I got into Pokémon for the first time back when I was a kid. I was at some after school club that had gameboy colours, so I got a chance to play one of them with Pokémon Yellow. Naturally it holds a strong spot in my heart, so I figured I’d make this hack, Pokémon: Yellow Advance.

This hack began development originally about 2 years ago, and also falls within the LC timeline right before the events of Pokémon: Liquid Crystal and along side Pokémon: Emerald Dreams. It happens to be the second spin-off game similar to Emerald Dreams which was recently posted here. The situation is similar, I wanted to make this more officially than just a name and a dream before it was too late. So, I present to you Pokémon: Yellow Advance.

~Hack Info & Story~
The idea of this hack is pretty simple, it’s a Pokémon Yellow remake aimed to bring a perfect GBA experience of Pokémon Yellow with a number of additional enhancements. For some people FireRed and LeafGreen filled that spot, but for me it didn’t, and I’m sure many others share my feelings.

~The LC Timeline~
The following image shows how the LC timeline is laid out.
Spoiler:

~Main Features~
The feature set is mainly that of Pokémon Yellow, so not much can be listed here at this time.

~Follow Me~

What would a Pokémon Yellow remake be without Pikachu following you around? This is one of the hardest things to do in a Pokémon hack, but this is still a planned feature to be added. It just wouldn’t be the same without this experience.

If anyone would like to volunteer to help with this feature, please contact me.

~Updated Graphics & Maps~

Every map has been updated with Kanto maps from Pokémon: Liquid Crystal, and tiles and palettes changed for a fresh feeling.

~Remapped Dungeons, Caves & Gyms~
Similar to Emerald Dreams, I plan to remap some classic dungeons and Gym layouts. I’m wondering how people will feel about this, however I like things that have a fresh touch so, sorry guys, but your old walkthrough magazines won’t work on this one.

~New Music Remixes~
Red, Blue and Yellow had a ton of classic mixes, and FireRed did a great job of recreating them. But, it would be no fun for them to simply be the same as FR, so every song will be remixed again.

~Custom Pokémon Sprites~
A whole set of new Pokémon sprites will be created with preserved poses from the original Yellow, in full GBA style.

~Many Other Features!~
The above features are the main changes, but there’s many more such as…
  • Raised levels for Increased Difficulty
  • New Movesets for Rivals and Gyms
  • New wild Pokémon sets for areas
  • Obtain all 386 Pokémon
  • Some additional Rivals and story events
  • Much much more!

~Media~

~Screenshots~
Spoiler:

~Frequently Asked Questions~
If you have a question to ask, there’s a chance it’s been answered here.

Spoiler:

Q: Will this work with an existing Pokémon Yellow save?
A: No, due to the platform differences between GBC and GBA.

Q: Can I trade and battle with Pokémon RBY?
A: No, but you can trade to other GBA games that support trading.

~Bugs & Glitches~
With every hack comes some form of bug or glitch. Below are the current bugs and glitches you can expect to encounter in the game.
  • Flower colours are glitchy
  • Do not speak to Pikachu!
  • Pikachu doesn’t follow you, this is because Follow Me is not implemented yet.
  • Prof. Oak catching Pikachu is an old man catching Weedle.

~Current Progress & Downloads~
The current version is Alpha 1, which has little progress and goes up to and around Pewter City. This is mostly just a proof of concept of what to expect in the future, with many things not currently implemented.

~Live Release System~
For those that are not familiar with what it is or how it works, I basically keep a build number record of each iteration or change/addition with comments stored on the Live Beta history page. You can check this to see what was done where and also to find out the latest build.

To check the build number of YA, you can check the first screen of the introduction to the game, and the build number will be at the bottom.

Each time I work on the hack and add/fix stuff, this number in increase, and you can download the latest version from the link in the first post. To check the history, you can visit http://www.pokemonhackersonline.com/ya/livebeta/ to see the changelog. I'll also post about the major updates here.

Download Alpha 1
Adverts exist before the download to help support development.

Changelog History

~Credits & Special Thanks~
Throughout development there's people I'd like to credit and say a special thanks for.

Diegoisawesome - Removing the female selection in the intro.
Kyledove & Xiderwong - Tiles & Palettes + rom base.

~Closing Notes~
I hope you enjoy the current release, any and all feedback on the game is welcomed. If you have any suggestions or questions, feel free to ask here in the thread.

Sponsored Links
Old 17th October 2013, 12:20 AM   #2
AriNikoBradshaw
Mewthree Inc.

AriNikoBradshaw

Awesome. I can't wait to see Pikachu implemented!
BTW, will Emerald Dreams pt. 2 be a mini-hack or something?
Old 17th October 2013, 12:22 AM   #3
Linkandzelda
RHO つぃちょう
Webmaster

Send a message via AIM to Linkandzelda Send a message via MSN to Linkandzelda Send a message via Skype™ to Linkandzelda

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriNikoBradshaw View Post
Awesome. I can't wait to see Pikachu implemented!
BTW, will Emerald Dreams pt. 2 be a mini-hack or something?
Good question, I didn't clarify it in the ED thread since it's part of the same hack, no mini hack. But, I wonder how that's possible? You'll have to wait and see xD

And yes, Pikachu will be an issue for sure, though I hope something can be implemented at least.

Old 17th October 2013, 01:42 AM   #4
Doublade
I ain't no noob!

Doublade

I like this! But I can't resist talking to Pikachu! I.. ca..cant.. waaaaa! This is a cool hack and please keep up the awesome work! I like your works and stuff!
Old 17th October 2013, 02:42 AM   #5
GiratinaRider
I Ride Giratina

GiratinaRider

We need to dedicate a shrine to you "Hacker Almighty".
YOU RULE!!
Likes karatekid552, Linkandzelda liked this post
Old 17th October 2013, 10:53 AM   #6
Linkandzelda
RHO つぃちょう
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublade View Post
I like this! But I can't resist talking to Pikachu! I.. ca..cant.. waaaaa! This is a cool hack and please keep up the awesome work! I like your works and stuff!
Thanks, and yes lol he's just begging to be talked to xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiratinaRider View Post
YOU RULE!!
Ahaha that would be nice :O

Old 17th October 2013, 11:47 AM   #7
Doublade
I ain't no noob!

Doublade

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiratinaRider View Post
YOU RULE!!
You'r certainly right my friend!
Old 17th October 2013, 11:50 AM   #8
ThirteenFour
I respect Zubat

ThirteenFour

Having never played Yellow, I can definitely say Im interested in how this hack goes. It will be a new experience for me for sure.

I have a question though. The image with the timeline layout wasnt as intuitive as I had hoped. Can someone clarify? Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 12:16 PM   #9
karatekid552
What does this button do?.....
Ex-Staff

karatekid552 karatekid552
Send a message via AIM to karatekid552 Send a message via MSN to karatekid552 Send a message via Skype™ to karatekid552

LaZ, Follow Me will be done. I promise.
Old 17th October 2013, 12:40 PM   #10
Linkandzelda
RHO つぃちょう
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirteenFour View Post
Having never played Yellow, I can definitely say Im interested in how this hack goes. It will be a new experience for me for sure.

I have a question though. The image with the timeline layout wasnt as intuitive as I had hoped. Can someone clarify? Thanks
The timeline shows the span of each game and how they fit around each other. The initials of the hacks represent which hack is which. You can see that YA (Yellow Advance) takes place before LC (Liquid Crystal) and along side ED (Emerald Dreams).

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
LaZ, Follow Me will be done. I promise.
You have no idea how excited I am to see what you've got planned!

Likes jNike, karatekid552 liked this post
Closed Thread

Tags
advance, alpha, pokemon, yellow, [GBA]