PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Hacking Suite > Archived Hacks

Notices

Archived Hacks Any In Development hacks that have had no activity in at least 1.5 years are here. If a hack of yours is in here and you'd like it restored, PM a member of the Mod team.

User Tag List

Old 17th May 2014, 11:38 PM   #11
Username
brb crying myself to sleep

Username

Quote:
Originally Posted by tttom64 View Post
Please don't. If you read the thread on Pokecommunity (not to link to other forums) you will find that he is still learning spriting, and has actually improved a lot since he posted the screenshots. They've actually been improved and are different to the ones that are on this thread.

Though it is a good idea not to give yourself deadlines.
Ah. Well that's good to hear, I don't browse PokeCommunity anymore.
Old 18th May 2014, 01:29 AM   #12
mastamilo657
TurquoiseBlue and NavyBlue

mastamilo657
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tttom64 View Post
Please don't. If you read the thread on Pokecommunity (not to link to other forums) you will find that he is still learning spriting, and has actually improved a lot since he posted the screenshots. They've actually been improved and are different to the ones that are on this thread.

Though it is a good idea not to give yourself deadlines.
Yes, I am just too lazy to update those screenshots. I update this thread much slower than I update the pokecommunity one. Also, I started working on this hack in December and by April, 99% of the beta was complete so I knew it was time for a release. I still gave myself a month to imrpove sprites and other stuff though. There are going to be a lot of fakemon in the beta. A lot more than the few posted on the thread already. I don't see May 23rd as a deadline. I see May 23rd as the release date because the beta is basically already done. I gave myself time and I posted this thread to pokecommunity in the beginning of April (I submitted it in late March) because I just wanted some oppinions on the sprites. All of them look good now if you ask me (except for the menu sprites). Anyway, thanks for your compliment/advice. I hope you end up playing th hack on May 23rd, and yes, if you want better updates, just look at the Pokecommunity thread.

Old 18th May 2014, 09:38 AM   #13
Xanathos
Beginner

Xanathos

Then I will check the pokecommunity thread but you should keep updating this one.
Old 18th May 2014, 12:18 PM   #14
mastamilo657

mastamilo657

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Then I will check the pokecommunity thread but you should keep updating this one.
When I release the first Beta, I'll update this page.

Old 18th May 2014, 03:36 PM   #15
Weloxux
What is love
Oh baby, don't hurt me
Don't hurt me no more
Oh, baby don't hurt me
Don't hurt me no more

Weloxux

Will I be able to trade and battle with other people?

W e l o x u x
"Silence! You and your false
ears shall not stand between me
and the real ones!" -Sora

Old 18th May 2014, 03:41 PM   #16
mastamilo657

mastamilo657

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weloxux View Post
Will I be able to trade and battle with other people?
If you play on a no$gba emulator, yes. You can play the game and also have a friend play on a seperate computer. Then you can transfer the rom and savefiles over to your computer and open 2 gameboys on the emulator. Then you can trade at the Pokecenter.

Sorry, it's not very conveniant. The game is mostly offline.

Old 18th May 2014, 03:48 PM   #17
Team Fail
Balance and Ruin
Ex-StaffStyle AdminstratorPHO VIP

Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastamilo657 View Post
If you play on a no$gba emulator, yes. You can play the game and also have a friend play on a seperate computer. Then you can transfer the rom and savefiles over to your computer and open 2 gameboys on the emulator. Then you can trade at the Pokecenter.

Sorry, it's not very conveniant. The game is mostly offline.
I assume it'd also work locally if one uses flashcards, correct?

Also, I'm just gonna give you a bit of advice, but it'd be a bad idea to only update your screenshots on the day of your release. A lot of people seem to be criticising your work solely upon the fact that your sprites are, well, sub-par. If you want to show that you've actually done that and actually prove all the nay-sayers wrong, it'd be a smart idea to update your screens, even today if you can. That way, people can actually start to see the game as a whole, instead of just focussing on one specific thing and criticise it to death.

Thank you for your time, PHO. I won't soon forget it.
Old 18th May 2014, 04:50 PM   #18
mastamilo657

mastamilo657

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Fail View Post
I assume it'd also work locally if one uses flashcards, correct?

Also, I'm just gonna give you a bit of advice, but it'd be a bad idea to only update your screenshots on the day of your release. A lot of people seem to be criticising your work solely upon the fact that your sprites are, well, sub-par. If you want to show that you've actually done that and actually prove all the nay-sayers wrong, it'd be a smart idea to update your screens, even today if you can. That way, people can actually start to see the game as a whole, instead of just focussing on one specific thing and criticise it to death.
There is definitely more hate here when compared to on the original PokéCommunity thread. I will update this tommorow with the exact same things as the pokecommunity thread.

Likes Dark Sneasel liked this post
Old 18th May 2014, 08:41 PM   #19
anaphysik
Wahahahahawntah~!

anaphysik

I know that this is a rather unpopular opinion, but: I genuinely like the current look of these fakemon. They have a definite goofy charm to them. Vamvrat is my favourite, as it's incredibly adorable (and it's a shame you didn't include that screenshot in this thread), but Hecub's backsprite, Blatacat's backsprite, Flarepup, and the little kiwi-looking guy next to the Bird Keeper all look fine as well. And Mubrik is hilarious, and for that I love him too :].

For example, in the PokeCommunity thread, one poster created an updated version of Hecub's backsprite - but while that certainly looks "better" in terms of graphical quality, it also looks /boring/. Charmless. Stale.

(Although I'll admit that I do actually like that same poster's revamp of Wormul.)

It is unfortunately true, though, that most people will overlook your hack due to the art style - but I can honestly say that this style makes me want to play it *more*, since it provides some immediate intrinsic character to the hack. Obviously, if you personally don't like the current sprites, then *that's* a definite good reason to update them. But I do believe that people should be more accepting of goofiness :/.

If you do redraw them, then I only ask that you try your best to keep that charming nature of your art intact. Don't draw them simply to make them look nice and shiny and conforming - draw them to also capture the little essences in their designs that make a mon seem alive and appealing. Sure, hew more to the standard style if you choose to - but don't forget that simply being in the standard style isn't why we love pokemon.

It's probably too much to ask, but I hope that you also release an 'original art' version of the hack alongside any standard redrawn version. If only for the weirdies out there like me who enjoy themselves some goofiness

(Mind, the hack does need to be either a) all fakemon or b) have official pokemon redrawn in your fakemon style - or else the shifting art styles would look jarring. I think your plan is all fakemon, though, so that shouldn't be a problem.)

Oh, and obviously like many others I do encourage you to keep practicing and advancing your spriteart. But once you're an expert, do keep in mind that "low-quality" art is still a valid stylistic choice, all the more so when it is reasoned and intentional :]

(And yeah, I'm excited to give this hack a spin.)
Old 19th May 2014, 01:51 AM   #20
mastamilo657

mastamilo657
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaphysik View Post
I know that this is a rather unpopular opinion, but: I genuinely like the current look of these fakemon. They have a definite goofy charm to them. Vamvrat is my favourite, as it's incredibly adorable (and it's a shame you didn't include that screenshot in this thread), but Hecub's backsprite, Blatacat's backsprite, Flarepup, and the little kiwi-looking guy next to the Bird Keeper all look fine as well. And Mubrik is hilarious, and for that I love him too :].

For example, in the PokeCommunity thread, one poster created an updated version of Hecub's backsprite - but while that certainly looks "better" in terms of graphical quality, it also looks /boring/. Charmless. Stale.

(Although I'll admit that I do actually like that same poster's revamp of Wormul.)

It is unfortunately true, though, that most people will overlook your hack due to the art style - but I can honestly say that this style makes me want to play it *more*, since it provides some immediate intrinsic character to the hack. Obviously, if you personally don't like the current sprites, then *that's* a definite good reason to update them. But I do believe that people should be more accepting of goofiness :/.

If you do redraw them, then I only ask that you try your best to keep that charming nature of your art intact. Don't draw them simply to make them look nice and shiny and conforming - draw them to also capture the little essences in their designs that make a mon seem alive and appealing. Sure, hew more to the standard style if you choose to - but don't forget that simply being in the standard style isn't why we love pokemon.

It's probably too much to ask, but I hope that you also release an 'original art' version of the hack alongside any standard redrawn version. If only for the weirdies out there like me who enjoy themselves some goofiness

(Mind, the hack does need to be either a) all fakemon or b) have official pokemon redrawn in your fakemon style - or else the shifting art styles would look jarring. I think your plan is all fakemon, though, so that shouldn't be a problem.)

Oh, and obviously like many others I do encourage you to keep practicing and advancing your spriteart. But once you're an expert, do keep in mind that "low-quality" art is still a valid stylistic choice, all the more so when it is reasoned and intentional :]

(And yeah, I'm excited to give this hack a spin.)
Most of the time when I get an email about a new comment I think it's negative news but I was so glad to hear some very positive opinions. Most people consider my art style to be bad, but you think it is different. Most pokemon were designed on silly things. Mubrik is a brick with a girder on top. The little kiwi-looking guy is not really a pokemon but he resembles Lilird, the podge of the game. Vamvrat is a bat inspired off of Woobat. I have some cool ideas like a strawberry pokemon, smoke pokemon, flag pokemon, and a mummy. I'm very glad to hear you like these sprites and I hope you'll enjoy the game when the first Beta is released!

Tags
navyblue, pokemon, turquoiseblue, [GBA]