PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Discussion Board > Archive

Notices

Archive Old threads that serve no purpose are here.

Old 2nd November 2013, 01:06 PM   #11
Haradion
Neophyte

Haradion

Thanks for the Patch!

I have been looking at flags a lot, and have now shifted my focus from them (Though not forgetting the) to variables. I didn't realize they had such potential. (I am an extremely Newbie hacker, with nil experience, and very little understanding of the techniques behind the scenes which make the games actually run, so perhaps that has something to do with it.

I really appreciate all of your guy's help on this.

thanks for the link to the patch - I don't know why i was denied access. Perhaps it was the mirror I found... Hopefully, Now I can get started!
Sponsored Links
Old 2nd November 2013, 03:06 PM   #12
Haradion
Neophyte

Haradion

Okay - I used the patch (all seems fine there) and tried to insert the hack with Asm.
I followed all of the instructions, and I thought I had done it. Unfortunately, when I now test the game, after completing the intro, (Gender, Name, Rival's name) etc, once it trys to begin, the next screen does not arrive.

To elaborate, once it says: "Your very own journey is about to unfold", and the avatar shrinks down, there is nothing after that. A Blank screen.

Clearly, I did something wrong - but I can't for the life of me see what it is.

Hmm...

Would it be possible for one of you to insert the changes into a blank copy of (U.S.) FireRed, then upload the changes as a patch?
That way I can have the appropriate changes to the variables/flags, without having to go through the ASM process again.

Again, I appreciate your help.
Old 2nd November 2013, 10:18 PM   #13
karatekid552
What does this button do?.....
Ex-Staff

karatekid552 karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph View Post
For most intents and purposes, you should use vars for story lines. For example, I meet someone important? I increment the var one, so that it's 1. If I go to the next event in the story, I would check if it has at least that value, and if so, let them pass.
That is exactly how I do it. I even keep a key in my notes for what value is what event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by droomph View Post
The reason why you would ever use flags, then, is to mark things that can happen out of order (for example, the gyms) so that you don't have to deal with the bitwise-shifting and asdfasdj;lfas if you used the variables for them.Story-wise or all-the-events wise? It should be more difficult to use vars for getting items, but I could be wrong.
Story-wise so far. The items will use the item flags already in use when I get to them, but every event is done through vars.
Old 2nd November 2013, 10:21 PM   #14
karatekid552
Ex-Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haradion View Post
Okay - I used the patch (all seems fine there) and tried to insert the hack with Asm.
I followed all of the instructions, and I thought I had done it. Unfortunately, when I now test the game, after completing the intro, (Gender, Name, Rival's name) etc, once it trys to begin, the next screen does not arrive.

To elaborate, once it says: "Your very own journey is about to unfold", and the avatar shrinks down, there is nothing after that. A Blank screen.

Clearly, I did something wrong - but I can't for the life of me see what it is.

Hmm...

Would it be possible for one of you to insert the changes into a blank copy of (U.S.) FireRed, then upload the changes as a patch?
That way I can have the appropriate changes to the variables/flags, without having to go through the ASM process again.

Again, I appreciate your help.
Make sure your first map isn't corrupted first. You can do this by taking a clean rom, saving at a point other than the player's room, and then using that save file to boot up your new game (VBA->File->Import->Battery). Then go into the players room. If it still crashes, then just try to fix it in A-Map by inserting it in a new bank.
Old 4th November 2013, 06:35 PM   #15
Haradion
Neophyte

Haradion

I created the sav in the clean Rom, and loaded it in the hacked Rom - but the character can not move.
I think the Rom I tried to hack is now corrupted. :Sigh:
It looks like I am going to have to do without the extended Variables/Flags...
Old 6th November 2013, 02:01 PM   #16
karatekid552
Ex-Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haradion View Post
I created the sav in the clean Rom, and loaded it in the hacked Rom - but the character can not move.
I think the Rom I tried to hack is now corrupted. :Sigh:
It looks like I am going to have to do without the extended Variables/Flags...
It can be done without extending. Jambo's flag hack only came out less than a year ago.. Also try again. You may have made a simple mistake, like not inserting the ASM at an offset divisible by 4.

Tags
flags, free, variable