PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Other Generations Hacking > ROM Hack Projects

ROM Hack Projects Find and play great Pokémon ROM Hacks here, or post your own hack project.
Note: This is not a place to recruit members for a team.

Closed Thread

Old 15th October 2013, 02:28 PM   #1
Linkandzelda
RHO つぃちょう
Webmaster

Linkandzelda Linkandzelda Linkandzelda
Default Pokémon: Emerald Dreams [Alpha 1]

~Introduction & Welcome~
Hey there everyone, I’m Linkandzelda, you may know me from Pokémon: Liquid Crystal and being the webmaster here. Well, let’s get into it. I don’t like to admit it, but I enjoyed Pokémon Emerald back when it was released on the GBA. I don’t know if it was just that point in my childhood or something else, but I did like it. However, it has a number of major flaws which I’d like to attempt to address through this hack, Pokémon: Emerald Dreams. This hack began development around 2 years ago when I decided to extend the LC Trilogy with 2 spin-off hacks, and this is one of the spin-offs. However, I originally wanted to wait until LC was finished before I released anything, but I decided that if I waited too long it might be too late. So, I present to you Pokémon: Emerald Dreams.

~Hack Info & Story~
The hack will use Pokémon Emerald as the base ROM (hehe, emerald remake on emerald? xD). It’s a complete remake and overhaul of the original Pokémon Emerald. The story line will be closely linked to the original story, however there will be changes and additional events. This hack is also a part of the LC Timeline, and acts as a prequel to the events that happen in Pokémon: Liquid Crystal.

~The LC Timeline~
The following image shows how the LC timeline is laid out.
Spoiler:

~Main Features~
I plan a lot of features for the game, but here are some of the main ones I’ll list.

~Updated Maps & Graphics~

That’s right, I’ll be completely remapping Hoenn into my own style of map to give it a fresh touch. In addition to that, all the tilesets and palettes will be recreated to give a completely new look to the game. I think we can all agree, Pokémon Emerald had the worst graphics ever, and it’s time to change that.

~Remapped Dungeons, Caves & Gyms~
All the Gyms and Caves and Forests and other areas have been completely remapped and redone giving an updated feeling of exploration.

~Fresh New OW Sprites~
Everyone hated the OW sprites in RSE, me included. So, Emerald Dreams will feature a whole set of new custom OW sprites.

~New Music Remixes~
Fresh new music remixes of classic Hoenn songs with new sound fonts and instruments.

~Fresh New Dialog~
This is something I plan to do, is to remake the entire dialog of the game to be completely new and original, yet still on the path of the original story line to some extent. The current version doesn’t have this feature implemented yet.

~Custom Pokémon Sprites & Animations~
A whole new set of custom Pokémon Sprites will be created and fully animated.

~New Hidden Areas~
Every Hoenn map will be recreated, which means there’s now new hidden areas to explore and uncover, from caves to diving spots.

~Many Other Features!~
The above features are the main changes, but there’s many more such as…
  • Raised levels for Increased Difficulty
  • New Movesets for Rivals and Gyms
  • New wild Pokémon sets for areas
  • Obtain all 386 Pokémon
  • Additional Rivals and story events
  • Much much more!

~Media~

~Screenshots~
Spoiler:

~Signature Support Banners~
Below are a set of signature banners you can add to your signature on here and other forums to show your support.

HTML Code:
[URL="http://www.pokemonhackersonline.com/showthread.php?t=14426-Pok-mon-Emerald-Dreams-Alpha-1"][IMG]http://romhackersonline.com/ed/sig/EDuserbarsmall.gif[/IMG][/URL]

HTML Code:
[URL="http://www.pokemonhackersonline.com/showthread.php?t=14426-Pok-mon-Emerald-Dreams-Alpha-1"][IMG]http://romhackersonline.com/ed/sig/EDuserbarlarge.gif[/IMG][/URL]

HTML Code:
[URL="http://www.pokemonhackersonline.com/showthread.php?t=14426-Pok-mon-Emerald-Dreams-Alpha-1"][IMG]http://romhackersonline.com/sig/img/emeralddreams.gif[/IMG][/URL]
~Frequently Asked Questions~
If you have a question to ask, there’s a chance it’s been answered here.

Spoiler:

Q: Will this work with an existing Emerald save?
A: No, due to the changes structure.

Q: Can I trade and battle with other games?
A: Yes.

~Bugs & Glitches~
With every hack comes some form of bug or glitch. Below are the current bugs and glitches you can expect to encounter in the game.
  • Door and water animations are glitchy
  • When using the TV in the Littleroot houses the tiles glitch
  • When playing as a girl the TV will have glitch tiles
  • Typo in Littleroot town
  • Some emulators experiencing flickering Day/Night

~Current Progress & Downloads~
The current version is Alpha 1 showing a proof of concept of the hack in action. Included so far is a new tile set with the first few towns remapped. None of the new OWs, Music or other extras are currently done. I wanted to get this released so people can check out the current progress and get an early feel of what to expect in the future.

~Live Release System~
For those that are not familiar with what it is or how it works, I basically keep a build number record of each iteration or change/addition with comments stored on the Live Beta history page. You can check this to see what was done where and also to find out the latest build.

To check the build number of ED, you can check the note attached to the tree inside the players house.

Each time I work on the hack and add/fix stuff, this number in increase, and you can download the latest version from the link in the first post. To check the history, you can visit http://www.pokemonhackersonline.com/ed/livebeta/ to see the changelog. I'll also post about the major updates here.

Download Alpha 1
Adverts exist before the download to help support development.

Live Beta History

~Credits & Special Thanks~
Throughout development there's people I'd like to credit and say a special thanks for.

Diegoisawesome: triple layered tile hack, emerald major block hack
Pokemon Dawn: some tiles from main tileset
Ray Maverick, Alucus, Alistar, Kyledove and Zein: Most of the main outdoor & cave Tiles.

~Closing Notes~
I hope you enjoy the current release, any and all feedback on the game is welcomed. If you have any suggestions or questions, feel free to ask here in the thread.

Sponsored Links
Old 15th October 2013, 03:14 PM   #2
daniilS
VIP
PHO VIP

daniilS

wait... did you just... I.I...

WOOHOOO!!!!!
I LOVE YOU FOREVER! THANKS FOR THIS, T H A N K S!!!!!!!!!!
this is what I want. Like, this may just become the PERFECT hack...

sorry, this just had to be said

Last edited by daniilS; 18th October 2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 15th October 2013, 03:16 PM   #3
Linkandzelda
RHO つぃちょう
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniilS View Post
wait... did you just... I.I...

WOOHOOO!!!!!
I LOVE YOU FOREVER! THANKS FOR THIS, T H A N K S!!!!!!!!!!
this is wat I want. Like, this may just become the PERFECT hack...

sorry, this just had to be said
Ahaha big text, glad you like the look of it so far. I'll try and make it as perfect as possible

Old 15th October 2013, 03:18 PM   #4
daniilS
VIP
PHO VIP

daniilS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkandzelda View Post
Ahaha big text, glad you like the look of it so far. I'll try and make it as perfect as possible
Hey, if you ever need ANYTHING, just say it. I'll be there for you
Old 15th October 2013, 03:21 PM   #5
Linkandzelda
RHO つぃちょう
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniilS View Post
Hey, if you ever need ANYTHING, just say it. I'll be there for you
Thanks for the offer, will see if I need anything in future.

Old 15th October 2013, 03:25 PM   #6
daniilS
VIP
PHO VIP

daniilS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkandzelda View Post
Thanks for the offer, will see if I need anything in future.
Wait, is this PHO-exclusive, or is the pc thread not approved yet?
Old 15th October 2013, 03:37 PM   #7
Mateo
Johto Region Champion
AdministratorPHO VIP

Mateo Mateo Mateo Mateo Mateo

This hack looks great! While I've honestly never finished RSE, this hack makes it seem more enjoyable. Will you be adding Day and Night and things like you did for Liquid Crystal?

Also, I'll look at it to see if it needs more tweaking, but I have a FireRed style version of the houses in Littleroot Town I made a while back if you want to check them out.

That's how they look right now. I made it for RPG Maker, but if you like the basic design I can open it back up and make sure its optimized for splitting into tiles the way the normal game buildings are.

EDIT: I went in an optimized it. The old one used 20 something colors and had things awkwardly lined up on tiles. This new one uses 16 colors (including the background color for transparency) and is lined up a lot better on the individual tiles so you can fit it into a tileset a lot easier.

(Included the tiles needed to make that, just in case. That door probably isn't needed though since that should just be a standard door from Fire Red.)

"I'm gonna, uh, demonstrate the hot moves..." - Flannery
Old 15th October 2013, 06:08 PM   #8
Linkandzelda
RHO つぃちょう
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
This hack looks great! While I've honestly never finished RSE, this hack makes it seem more enjoyable. Will you be adding Day and Night and things like you did for Liquid Crystal?

Also, I'll look at it to see if it needs more tweaking, but I have a FireRed style version of the houses in Littleroot Town I made a while back if you want to check them out.

That's how they look right now. I made it for RPG Maker, but if you like the basic design I can open it back up and make sure its optimized for splitting into tiles the way the normal game buildings are.

EDIT: I went in an optimized it. The old one used 20 something colors and had things awkwardly lined up on tiles. This new one uses 16 colors (including the background color for transparency) and is lined up a lot better on the individual tiles so you can fit it into a tileset a lot easier.

(Included the tiles needed to make that, just in case. That door probably isn't needed though since that should just be a standard door from Fire Red.)
Thanks for the feedback, as for Day and Night this should answer that.

Regarding the tiles, I appreciate the effort though I'd like to go for something completely new. Right now it's using the FR/LG houses in Littleroot but I plan to replace them later on with new tiles.

Old 25th October 2013, 09:13 PM   #9
Winter Wonderland
n00b

Winter Wonderland

Y'know, I've been wanting this to happen for the longest time, however, people always said it'd be redundant if done on GBA. But, I don't believe that to be true. My biggest issue with RSE was the graphics; but I loved the story and the region. So, best of luck with this, I'll be watching this closely.
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.
Robert Frost, Fire and Ice.

Credits to Full Metal.

Old 15th October 2013, 06:11 PM   #10
Mateo
Johto Region Champion
AdministratorPHO VIP

Mateo Mateo Mateo Mateo Mateo

That's cool, I just saw the Fire Red houses and thought I'd offer. And if nothing else, now I have them in a usable format if I decide to use them for something myself one day or if someone else feels like it. Good to see Day and Night happening, that was one thing I always hated about RSE. It felt like a step backwards to have the clock be so useless after it did more in Gold.

"I'm gonna, uh, demonstrate the hot moves..." - Flannery
Closed Thread

Tags
alpha, dreams, emerald, pokemon, [GBA]