PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Discussion Board > Archive > Questions & Answers

Notices

Questions & Answers Do you have a problem you need a straight answer for? Ask a question here and get an answer.

Old 31st October 2014, 05:32 PM   #11
Full Metal ★
Unstable?
Ex-StaffPHO VIP

Full Metal ★ Full Metal ★

YES THIS APPLIES TO EMULATORS AS WELL.

★ full metal.

#busy
Full Metal ★ is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Elsa, Aperso liked this post
Sponsored Links
Old 31st October 2014, 05:53 PM   #12
Team Fail
Balance and Ruin
Ex-StaffStyle AdminstratorPHO VIP

Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail Team Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hateful Reaver View Post
That's sweet. It also implies that the GBA could (at least) handle a slightly larger file than the implied 32MB max.
It could be useful for debugging purposes, however, as Gamer2020 stated, because of the limitation he mentioned, then yeah, 32MB would be the absolute max that the GBA could handle.

Thank you for your time, PHO. I won't soon forget it.
Team Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2014, 08:31 PM   #13
Crystal Togekiss
Eternal n00b

Crystal Togekiss

Well, yuck.
Old 1st November 2014, 07:14 AM   #14
Full Metal ★
Unstable?
Ex-StaffPHO VIP

Full Metal ★ Full Metal ★

I think you're severely overestimating how much space you need. If you're using that much space, you're better off writing your own engine ( the amount of hacks you would need to do to utilize that much space is insane ). You say you plan to go overboard, but you're really just being dramatic. Go map your maps on a ROM. If you run out of room, that's because things have been inserted multiple times and haven't been "cleaned up" so that space gets recycled. Even a large map probably would at most take up 2kB. 32MB = 32 * 1024 kB. That's (32 * 512 - everything else ) ridiculously huge maps. That's a maximum of 16384, minus however much space is needed for other things. If you map 500 ridiculously huge maps, I will personally apologize for being an arse, and applaud you. But at the same time, nobody wants to play that many huge maps. They take forever to get from one place to another. Uncompressed Pokemon sprites would take up about 1kB + 32 bytes for their palette. But they're not uncompressed; and they're usually significantly smaller when they're compressed. Let's say .5kB + 32 bytes = 534 bytes per pokemon sprite.
https://www.google.com/search?q=870+...4)+bytes+in+MB
You're looking at .5MB for Pokemon sprites if you have 870 Pokemon. The actual engine probably takes at least 10MB, I'll guestimate so now you're looking at 21.5MB for maps tilesets and other datas. Which is way more than enough. The thing about using the GBA platform is that you have to be efficient in how you do things. The engine was made to run with a small memory load. Claiming you're "going overboard" is really dumb.

★ full metal.

#busy
Full Metal ★ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2014, 08:59 AM   #15
Crystal Togekiss
Eternal n00b

Crystal Togekiss

It seems I've really struck a nerve with a couple of you. I'm sincerely sorry; sometimes my curiosity gets the better of me. Thank you for all the information, though.
Old 10th November 2014, 11:55 PM   #16
awipe1
Neophyte

awipe1

Dont worry Crystal I stress about running out of space aswell, I have never completed a ROM before and when I do complete my ROM maybe I will have a better understanding but I'm worried about running out of space.

I always make a backup of my ROM and even if I make the smallest mistake (Making a movement script that I have already added or something stupid) I will revert back to my back up. I'm sure I wont be this anal when I get somewhat farther in my game and realise how much space I still have left.
awipe1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gba, limitations