PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Discussion Board > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Feel like chilling and talking about random stuff? General Discussion is the place for you!

Old 4th November 2013, 07:39 PM   #1
Kalos_Zeikku
Kalos Regional Champion

Kalos_Zeikku
Lightbulb Zeikku’s Pokémon X and Y shiny chaining tutorial

Before beginning with this tutorial, I would like to say that the information contained in this thread may be slightly inaccurate to some degree despite thorough testing. Readers must understand that my 3DS hardware is stock, and tests are being done via no exploitation or hacks. While I provide useful information about obtaining shiny Pokémon, please note that this is a community; if you have more useful tips or suggestions that I haven’t covered, feel free to share them.

Part I: Knowing what you’re after and how you’re going to get it

You may already know that the region of Kalos is the most diverse region we’ve seen, to the point where the Pokédex has been split into three parts, but to make it easier finding a Pokémon you want, the large image below locates all obtainable Pokémon in X and Y, so feel free to click and download it.

That aside, you're going to need a decent amount of Pokéballs for parts 1 to 5 of this tutorial, and Max Repels solely for part 5.

Part II: Hooking a big'un (Very easy method)

When the protagonist is made to speak to one of the two fishermen in the house on Route 16, he states that some “rare Pokémon can be caught during a long fishing streak”. While testing this over the course of ten or more streaks, I have determined a shiny encounter will occur after an average streak of 41.3*; remember that this is an average, you can get a shiny on far lower chains and on far greater ones. Before explaining this in more depth, I have provided a few simple rules to follow when attempting this.

Rules of streak fishing:
  • Do not miss a bite as it breaks the chain.
  • Do not reel in the Pokémon too early or too late as it breaks the chain.
  • Do not catch any Pokémon prior to the shiny as it breaks the chain.
  • Do not move the character in between fishing as it breaks the chain.
  • Do not exit the area in which you're fishing. It will break your chain.
  • Getting into a battle that isn't through fishing will break your chain.
  • Exiting the game or resetting will obviously break your chain.
  • Don't lose your cool; this is meant to be fun. If you're unsuccessful move to another area and try there.
While the rules are simple, the first one may be hard to follow as it’s completely luck-based, but luckily there’s a Pokémon for just about anything (sue me, Apple). So, to ensure that you always get a bite on your fishing rod of preference, I would highly recommend a Pokémon with the ability Suction Cups or Sticky Hold. These abilities have field effects outside of battle which increases the likelihood of hooking Pokémon with the rod while fishing. Common Pokémon with this ability include Inkay, Malamar, Octillery, Gulpin, Swalot so grab one because you’ll need it.

It should be noted that Pokémon with the Static ability increase the likelihood of an electric Pokémon encounter providing that Pokémon is first in your party. This may be an alternate method for going on a streak of something specific like Chinchou; again, this is just a tip and Suction cups may still be a better option to go with. Go with whatever is best for you. Read more on field effects here.

Next, find a fishing spot and fish there repeatedly back-to-back without moving the player in the slightest or losing your bite. For these battles, you can run away from each of them until you find your shiny Pokémon. That’s it; it’s that simple. Using this method alone I have caught the following shinies in Pokemon Y version (E):
  • Magikarp
  • Gyarados X2
  • Poliwhirl
  • Skrelp X2
  • Luvdisc
  • Goldeen
  • Corsola
  • Remoraid
  • Octillery
Part III: The Masuda method (Easy but time-consuming, tedious and in-consistent)

Named after the creator of Pokémon, Junichi Masuda, the Masuda method has existed for quite some time and works in the same manner as in the previous games. This method involves breeding foreign Pokémon with each other. An example can be seen below:

This method will not work if:
  • Both Pokémon you are attempting to breed are from the same region in the world.
  • You're breeding gendered legendaries (Manaphy being the exception).
This method supposedly divides the normal shiny hatch rate roughly by eight, but this has never worked for me purely because it’s time consuming. Even if the shiny hatch rate is divided, that still leaves the player with around a 1/1000 chance of hatching one. For most, this could take a very long time getting a specific shiny. This method is only recommended if you plan on breeding your ideal shiny Pokémon for competitive playing, but I actually recommend doing this while doing your play-through because the chances are you’ll be a breeding a lot for GTS and online trades anyway.

Part IV and V coming soon!

Please post your results and help others!

Last edited by Kalos_Zeikku; 4th November 2013 at 11:14 PM.
Kalos_Zeikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Likes Full Metal ★, Pia Carrot liked this post
Sponsored Links
Old 4th November 2013, 08:15 PM   #2
BlackNekos
Nekos' Adventures in Kalos~
Ex-Staff

BlackNekos

Very nice guide. Fishing for Pokémon requires so much patience... it can take from 10 - 1000 before finding a shiny. It is very annoying.

Spoiler:

Have you seen the adorable?
BlackNekos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 08:23 PM   #3
Kalos_Zeikku
Kalos Regional Champion

Kalos_Zeikku

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNekos View Post
Very nice guide. Fishing for Pokémon requires so much patience... it can take from 10 - 1000 before finding a shiny. It is very annoying.
The chances of a shiny encounter does significantly increase though .

I actually find that some days are better than others. Like today, I caught two shinies (Gyarados and Poliwhirl) despite KO'ing the first shiny Poliwhirl , but I've been unsuccesful at fishing up a shiny Dratini all day, even after 100 chains or so. It happens, but most of the time it is an under 40 chain.
Old 4th November 2013, 08:26 PM   #4
BlackNekos
Ex-Staff

BlackNekos

I found 3 shiny goldeen (killed 1) when trying to get a shiny carvanha. The first golden was at about 14. Second was around 34. Third was around 38.

I believe if you use the Old Rod, the odds don't increase as much... I was grinding for a shiny Luvdisc but never found 1 after a chain of 114.

Spoiler:

Old 4th November 2013, 08:33 PM   #5
Kalos_Zeikku
Kalos Regional Champion

Kalos_Zeikku

Quote:
I found 3 shiny goldeen (killed 1) when trying to get a shiny carvanha. The first golden was at about 14. Second was around 34. Third was around 38.

I believe if you use the Old Rod, the odds don't increase as much... I was grinding for a shiny Luvdisc but never found 1 after a chain of 114.
Luvdisc was actually my first shiny and I caught that on 16 with an Old Rod underneath Ambrette Town (very good spot by the way). However, the Magkarp I caught with an Old Rod was like on a chain of 134 or something. The best thing to do is change locations if the chain takes too long. Saves you the infuriating disappointment or tediousness of long chain fishing.
Old 4th November 2013, 08:39 PM   #6
Kalos_Zeikku
Kalos Regional Champion

Kalos_Zeikku

Quote:
I was probably exactly where you was when grinding for Luvdisc.
Yeah, things can be a little different. I mean for one, I hear friend safari shiny rates are different due to the fact there are only three Pokemon. However, unlike a lot of people I haven't found one shiny there. Currently researching that for part 4.

It'll pan out, try catching a Luvdisc somewhere else. You know, I still haven't caught that Shiny Chinchou that I said I'd catch a week ago for the same reason as you. That and when I do get a shiny it isn't Chinchou..ever.

Last edited by Kalos_Zeikku; 4th November 2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 4th November 2013, 08:45 PM   #7
BlackNekos
Ex-Staff

BlackNekos

Friend Safari:
Apparently, odds are increased if the other person has beat the game once.
Odds are increased if the other person is online.
I am not sure about this.

I am still curious to see how the Pokéradar has changed. I know there are spots which say "Screw you, no pokémon here."

Spoiler:

Old 4th November 2013, 08:55 PM   #8
Kalos_Zeikku
Kalos Regional Champion

Kalos_Zeikku

Quote:
Friend Safari:
Apparently, odds are increased if the other person has beat the game once.
Odds are increased if the other person is online.
I am not sure about this.

I am still curious to see how the Pokéradar has changed. I know there are spots which say "Screw you, no pokémon here."
I will most likely test that Friend Safari theory with you at some point and you can do the same with me. The Pokéradar is more or less the same but little things break chains far too easily and there are a few more temperamental rules as opposed to the other methods.
Old 5th November 2013, 03:38 AM   #9
Elsa
Let it go!
PHO VIP

Elsa

The fishing tutorial was very nice and I'll keep this bookmarked

Very nice tutorial~

- - - - - - - Elsa - - - - - - -
Twitter | YouTube | Steam | Twitch
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Elsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 05:21 PM   #10
Kalos_Zeikku
Kalos Regional Champion

Kalos_Zeikku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocka View Post
The fishing tutorial was very nice and I'll keep this bookmarked

Very nice tutorial~
Thanks . Feel free to post your results if you attempt these methods!

Also, readers,

I'm hoping to have a viable calculation of averages for the Shiny rates in Friend Safari and post-tipping NPC's before covering the Pokéradar. This is very hard to do alone, but quite enjoyable at the same time.

However, based on a number of reports, apparently the average shiny encounter is about one every hour in Friend Safari, this has been inconclusive for me so I need to look into it much more. But by using the figures I have so far, I can give an estimated probability of obtaining a shiny in Friend safari.

The average normal Pokémon encounter is around ten seconds long if you run away (and there's no point in chaining/ battling as Pokéradar does not work in Friend Safari); so by running you'll be experiencing around 6 encounters per minute (on average). So multiplying that by the number of minutes in an hour should give you 360. However, this would be too perfect and could potentially guarantee you a shiny if you were to grind in the safari for an hour, and there isn't a guarantee. So while 360 seems low, I believe the actual figure lies between 1/400 and 1/500 with the latter being the most likely. It would actually make a lot more sense based on the reports. As some did report exceptions in Shiny hunting in Friend Safari, but claimed one an hour was still the average.

While people were able to gain one shiny an hour, there were a few failures, but this has still been proven to be much easier than obtaining shinies in the wild elsewhere with one player catching three in Friend Safari. I will cover more on this in the coming days! Any help is appreciated.

Tags
chaining, pokemon, shiny, tutorial, zeikku’s