PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Other Generations Hacking > ROM Hack Projects

ROM Hack Projects Find and play great Pokémon ROM Hacks here, or post your own hack project.
Note: This is not a place to recruit members for a team.

Old 9th October 2012, 08:37 PM   #1
DarkRisingGirl
Neophyte

DarkRisingGirl is on a distinguished road
Default Pokemon: Dark Rising

Introduction
Hi, I'm DarkRisingGirl & This is POKEMON Dark Rising. This is my 2nd attempt to complete a full hack with a new epic story, new characters, and a new region. I've always felt the Pokemon series needed a much stronger impact with story-telling & that's what this hack is all about. Within the hack(look to features for more information) you'll encounter Pokemon from all 5 generations, the newest attacks, and a brand new deep storyline involving many characters with actual emotions compelling them to move foward. I also forgot to mention 1 important thing; This hack is Part 1 of a hack series! I thank you all for playing, I hope you enjoy! ^.^

The Adventure
The Story begins in a dream. A Pokemon suddenly appears
and chooses you, a young boy/girl, to save not only it, but the world itself.
You awake asking yourself questions. Deciding to ignore the dream for now, you step out into your home town known as Fells in the Core Region. Your best friend, who also had the same dream, stops you at the front door to inform you of an emergency message from the town's Professor. When you encounter the professor, he quickly informs you of the disasters and climate changes occuring all over the Core Region. His workers in panic, he asks you to visit the delivery station and pick up a package for him from Prof.Oak. As you set out on this simple task, you encounter a mysterious girl who appears to know knowledge of the dream you've had about a creature name DARUGIS. After recieving the package, a powerful pokemon is within you and your friend, Pete, sight. Eager to test your early skills against a powerful pokemon, you quickly engage in a battle with it. The pokemon uses it's powerful winds, easily defeating your pokemon and knocking you out in the process. After awakening in your room, you see Pete and your mother patiently waiting for your recovery. You soon begin to realize this is the start of a journey into many mysteries and powerful pokemon you can't wait to challenge.

Characters:

Spoiler:
Oren (Hero) - The Hero of the Game.

Orena (Heroine) - The Heroine of the Game.

Kaz (Rival) - Your best friend and main rival of the Game.
Pete - Another friend of the Hero/Heroine.
Sydney - The mysterious trainer who has a past with Kayo & a connection to the legendary dragon, KYUREM. Her dragon, AXEW, is only seen in the 2nd region of the Game.
Kayo - A mysterious trainer who has a past with Sydney & the leader of the Grunts/Goons/Goonetes. His dragon, DEINO, is only seen in the 2nd region of the Game.
Dray - He proclaims himself as the "Number 1 Trainer in the World". To prove this, he's gone on a search to battle the pokemon champion, Ash Ketchum. He is also the winner of the Sinnoh League and the boyfriend of Florina.
Florina - She's an expert at computers and the girlfriend of Dray. She's the winner of the Unova League, defeating Dray in the final battle of the competition.
V - He is the general of the Grunts/Goons/Goonetes & commands DARUGIS's Puppets at the highest order. He also has a past with the player's Father and has a Son & Daughter who have become skilled Pokemon Trainers.

Screenshots:

Spoiler:

Fan-Made Titlescreen:

Fan Made Box-Art:

Features:
386 Pokemon from regions Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, & Unova, all appear.
There's 8 badges. Each gym leader will have his/her own signature Pokemon that is not obtainable in the hack.

All Original Characters & Trainers, including some fan favorites from the anime such as:
Ash Ketchum
Misty
Brock
Aside from the anime favorites, Yami Yugi from
the YUGIOH Series will also have a short apperance
in the hack as a Gym Leader.
There will be newer generation moves. Some to note are Shadow Claw, Roost, Scald, & plenty more.
DW Abilities (Yes that includes the overused fan favorites of Drizzle Poliwag, Drought Vulpix, & Speed Boost Torchic.)
All Pokemon will learn some of their best egg moves from gen 3-5 by level up instead of breeding. (Serebii.net Pokedex was used for this information.)
Inside every pokemon center, there's a Nurse Joy & Doctor Roy. Doctor Roy will be the one to heal your POKEMON. Nurse Joy will be next to him and challenge you to a double battle along side Doctor Roy. This is helpful for exp points.

Support Us!

Banners:
Spoiler:

Youtube Walkthroughs:

Spoiler:

Credits:
DarkRisingGirl (Story/Creator)
Tajaros (Scripter/Support Banner)
Wesley FG (OW Sprites)
Kyledove (Tiles)
Mewmasterifly (2 Evil Fakemon Sprites for Beta)
NO_obslayer (Titlescreen)
Nightkymz (Tile Inserter)
Atif (Mapper for the 1st Half of the Hack)
DanielEvans/Pokemon Giratina X/Elite Four Lucian( Banners. If I forgot anyone, please inform me and I'll gladly add you to the list)
Evil Arms (Fan-made Titlescreen)
PokemonShinySilver (Wii U)
Darthatron (Fixed Trainer Card Glitch)
Hinkage (Scripting & Mapping)

BETA 1 RELEASE: July 30th-August 5th 2012
Beta 1 Errors(Will be fixed in future releases) All are very minor & do not affect the gameplay at all.
1.The introduction sprites for the Hero/Heroine/Rival are Not Inserted.
2.DRAY's trainer sprite's hair is Grey, but his OW's sprite's hair is Dark Blue.
3.New Moves do not have their correct descriptions or animations YET.
4.Kaz's OW sprite has a Black backpack, but his trainer sprite has a Yellow one.
5.The Pikachu at the start of the game's menu is cut off. It will be replaced with another pokemon when I get assistance in changing it.

BETA 2 RELEASE: End of the Year
(Will go to the 8th gym leader.)
New Music.
Cries identical to the Pokemon.

Last edited by DarkRisingGirl; 9th August 2014 at 12:49 AM.
DarkRisingGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 9th October 2012, 08:57 PM   #2
DarkRisingGirl
Neophyte

Default More Screenshots of the Hack

Due to my limit on the first post, I couldn't post all of'em. But here are some more pictures of the hack taken by me and people who have played it already. Also, here's the Box Art, fan-made title screen, and banner for the hack.

Old 9th October 2012, 09:02 PM   #3
DarkRisingGirl
Neophyte

From Beta 1(Available Now in the first post) & Beta 2 which'll be released in December.

(Bikes in Beta 2 for Both the Hero & Heroine!)

Here are some characters you'll be seeing as well:

-ATEM
-VLADIMIR
-MISTY
-ASH & PIKACHU

Old 9th October 2012, 09:15 PM   #4
DarkRisingGirl
Neophyte

DON'T FORGET to Download BETA 1 in the first post. There's also a list of the obtainable Pokemon in specific areas of the Beta. It's in the attachments on the first post. Enjoy playing everyone. ^.^
Old 10th October 2012, 01:14 AM   #5
PEDRO12
mother of dragons
Ex-StaffPHO VIP

PEDRO12

Okay, first off I have to say that I appreciate the effort you have put into making a game that is well oriented towards Story-telling. It's great to see someone who actually cares about the story and not only the usual Pokemon game format. However, there are some things I would like to point out:
  • The names Oren and Orena for the main protagonists are too close and not very appealing. Might want to change one or both of them.
  • Quote:
    You awake asking yourself questions.
    'Wake up' would be better fitting than 'awake' in my opinion.
    Quote:
    Your best friend, who also had the same dream, stops you at the front door to inform you of an emergency message from the town's Professor.
    'Urgent' would be more appropriate than 'emergency', yes? :)
    Quote:
    When you encounter the professor, he quickly informs you of the disasters and climate changes occuring all over the Core Region.
    I don't think 'encounter' would be a good word to use in this context, you simply 'meet up' with the professor. Also, you need two 'r's in 'occurring'.
    Quote:
    As you set out on this simple task, you encounter a mysterious girl who appears to know knowledge of the dream you've had about a creature name DARUGIS.
    'Know knowledge' is a bit redundant. How about: "Appears to have knowledge ; know about... etc".
    Quote:
    After recieving the package, a powerful pokemon is within you and your friend, Pete, sight.
    You've misspelled 'receiving', and that statement is poorly phrased. Perhaps: "...a powerful Pokemon appears out of no where...". Try to fit that into your statement.
    Quote:
    Eager to test your early skills against a powerful pokemon
    How about just 'skills' :)
    Quote:
    you quickly engage in a battle with it.
    "You quickly engage it in a battle" would sound better ;)
    Quote:
    After awakening in your room,
    Again, substitute that with 'wake up'.
  • Quote:
    Aside from the anime favorites, YAMI YUGI from
    the YUGIOH Series will also have a short apperance
    in the hack as a Gym Leader.
    Uhm... :/
    This isn't a very good idea, it ruins the originality of your hack.
  • One last thing I would like to say is about your mapping style, it's too unnatural. This is exactly what people usually dislike about a hack. If one cannot enjoy the way a hack looks, one can't enjoy playing it. You want your maps to stray as far away from GameFreak style as possible. Trees do not grow in straight lines, nor does grass, and mountains do not have perfectly structured walls either.

Well, my 2 cents. I'll be looking forward to playing this so give it your all k? :)
PEDRO12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 08:21 PM   #6
Rengar
n00b

Rengar is on a distinguished road

Hey, this definitely seems neat! I like the graphics, the HGSS/BW sprites look fantastic, good job in resizing/inserting. I see you have put good effort in the hack, but you might want to watch out for details. Some picky hackers (like me, or Pedro for this matter xD) do notice the little things in a hack. ;) Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to playing this.
Rengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 06:15 PM   #7
Linkandzelda
RHO つぃちょう
Webmaster

Linkandzelda Linkandzelda Linkandzelda

Looking good so far, I've added the thread contents to the main site under GBA Rom Hacks section.

Linkandzelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2012, 05:32 AM   #8
DarkRisingGirl
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkandzelda View Post
Looking good so far, I've added the thread contents to the main site under GBA Rom Hacks section.
Thanks. I've updated the main post with a more organized layout and more pictures. I'm also going to post an update right about...Now:

]

Old 24th October 2012, 09:58 AM   #9
Pia Carrot
Orange Developer
Administrator

Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot Pia Carrot

Alright, my feedback:

http://i50.tinypic.com/21l7byh.png
Looks like you found this on Google and edited it poorly. Correct me if I am wrong.

You have mixed 2 Generations of overworlds. Because of that, some characters look deformed or just ugly.

Trainer sprites are horrible splices and recolors. I suggest you look at some scratch spriting tutorials.

Story is nice though.

Tiles and palettes are clich? all throughout, besides those eye bleach requiring strength boulders.

Overall, clich? hack is clich?. You have come a long way from neon tiles, though. Of course, with the help of other people.

I'm a boob
Pia Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2012, 04:28 PM   #10
DarkRisingGirl
Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia Carrot View Post
Alright, my feedback:

http://i50.tinypic.com/21l7byh.png
Looks like you found this on Google and edited it poorly. Correct me if I am wrong.

You have mixed 2 Generations of overworlds. Because of that, some characters look deformed or just ugly.

Trainer sprites are horrible splices and recolors. I suggest you look at some scratch spriting tutorials.

Story is nice though.

Tiles and palettes are clich? all throughout, besides those eye bleach requiring strength boulders.

Overall, clich? hack is clich?. You have come a long way from neon tiles, though. Of course, with the help of other people.
I appreciate the feedback. Everyone's who's Played the hack enjoyed it very much and actually loved the sprite recolors and OWs. Your criticism of those areas I get very few. Also, I've improved on each area on my own and received little help from others. Other than the trees and grass from a rom base and the trainer sprites, I inserted 90% of the tiles and created everything else on my own, especially the story. Have you played the hack? I've notice Every person who had any negative feedback on the hack thought otherwise after playing it, even veteran Rom hackers. Thanks though, I will try to improve on those areas when I begin full production on Part 2.

Tags
dark, GBA:, pok?mon, pokemon, rising, [GBA]