PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online
Go Back   PHO - Pokémon Hackers Online > Discussion Board > Archive

Notices

Archive Old threads that serve no purpose are here.

Old 18th November 2013, 01:04 AM   #11
Notabot

Notabot

Hey, I noticed you asking on IRC if you could use my split for this- the answer is very probably no because I'd be quite surprised if damage calc isn't altered heavily already for the new stuff. The main issues I've heard of in faulty splits are:

-Type-boosting items (such as Charcoal and Mystic Water) stop working, except for Silk Scarf and Black Belt which work on all physical and special moves respectively
-Thick Fat either does nothing at all or only weakens special moves
-Rain and Sun have no effect on the power of Water and Fire moves
-Moves with variable type, such as Hidden Power and Weather Ball, do very little damage
-Overgrow, Torrent, Blaze, and Swarm do nothing
-Apparently Volt Absorb, Water Absorb, and Flash Fire (or some combination of these) are prone to crashing with some implementations- I think this might just be EXS's early port of the JP split though

I was able to dodge most of these issues by implementing the split differently from most attempts- I made the damage calc push and pop one more register and stored phys/spec status in R11 (i think) rather than the register normally used for type. From what I've heard, Jambo was doing something like this himself shortly before I posted my patch. He was storing type in R11 though, meaning you'd have to go to every type check and make it use that.

tl;dr: no you can't use my patch due to the nature of this project, although I'll give you a list of things you should probably make sure are working.

-Doesnt
Sponsored Links
Old 18th November 2013, 12:52 PM   #12
karatekid552
What does this button do?.....
Ex-Staff

karatekid552 karatekid552

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notabot View Post
Hey, I noticed you asking on IRC if you could use my split for this- the answer is very probably no because I'd be quite surprised if damage calc isn't altered heavily already for the new stuff. The main issues I've heard of in faulty splits are:

-Type-boosting items (such as Charcoal and Mystic Water) stop working, except for Silk Scarf and Black Belt which work on all physical and special moves respectively
-Moves with variable type, such as Hidden Power and Weather Ball, do very little damage
-Apparently Volt Absorb, Water Absorb, and Flash Fire (or some combination of these) are prone to crashing with some implementations- I think this might just be EXS's early port of the JP split though

I was able to dodge most of these issues by implementing the split differently from most attempts- I made the damage calc push and pop one more register and stored phys/spec status in R11 (i think) rather than the register normally used for type. From what I've heard, Jambo was doing something like this himself shortly before I posted my patch. He was storing type in R11 though, meaning you'd have to go to every type check and make it use that.

tl;dr: no you can't use my patch due to the nature of this project, although I'll give you a list of things you should probably make sure are working.

-Doesnt
Okay, that should be fine. I have never used either split before, so this should be fun. (Jambo also didn't write anything down, so now I have to hack the hack Not his fault though, I knew he didn't do that before I accepted.)
Old 20th November 2013, 10:37 AM   #13
Jambo51
Glory To Arstotzka
Ex-Staff

Jambo51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notabot View Post
I actually fixed all of the above, which leaves "-Moves with variable type, such as Hidden Power and Weather Ball, do very little damage".

My implementation was a custom one based on Darthatron's one, but with a lot of extra code to try and catch these sorts of errors. They may still be buggy, I didn't test enough to definitively know they work, but I attempted to fix it.
Old 22nd November 2013, 01:54 AM   #14
bcrobert

bcrobert

Studied some of the research notes in hopes of porting the abilities over to Emerald. I don't know if I'm at that level yet (because ASM hurts), but it's still nice to have access to such advanced notes.

One of the coolest things about this patch is that it's been bringing less studied mechanics in advance generation to the forefront (battle scripts, animations, abilities, etc). I really can't wait to see the high-quality hacks that will use this rombase some day.

I'm glad that Jambo was able to find a successor for this project, and I hope you know just how many hackers respect you for working on this, KarateKid.

Last edited by bcrobert; 22nd November 2013 at 01:57 AM.
Old 22nd November 2013, 02:14 AM   #15
karatekid552
Ex-Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrobert View Post

Studied some of the research notes in hopes of porting the abilities over to Emerald. I don't know if I'm at that level yet (because ASM hurts), but it's still nice to have access to such advanced notes.

One of the coolest things about this patch is that it's been bringing less studied mechanics in advance generation to the forefront (battle scripts, animations, abilities, etc). I really can't wait to see the high-quality hacks that will use this rombase some day.

I'm glad that Jambo was able to find a successor for this project, and I hope you know just how many hackers respect you for working on this, KarateKid.
Thanks man. Also, if you didn't see the readme, not all of the ASM is on GitHub. There are about 600 assorted ASM/BIN files (and only about half pertain to the 649 patch) that I have yet to sort through and upload. So, if you find that some ASM is not on GitHub, and you want to see it, just send me a message and I'll look for it.

Jambo51 also didn't comment any of his code, so it will be tough to understand out of context. The best way to learn how a piece of code works is to watch it in action. For that, compile the ASM, then search for parts of it in the rom until you find only one match. From there, set a breakpoint on that location and watch it run.

Remember to post any bugs you find in the Issues section!
Old 25th November 2013, 12:35 AM   #16
bcrobert

bcrobert

It looked like much of what I was hunting for is up. I was planning on looking for battle routines in Emerald first to get some starting offsets. (I would think large chunks of the battle ASM should be the same.) That way I'd at least have a general idea of where the relevant checks are. Implementing a port of even some of this stuff will require me to do maximum studying, but it'll still be a learning experience at worst.

Will mess with the patch itself after the holiday season slows down. I'll probably just make some half-baked hack that uses the changes and play test. Who knows, maybe I'll become a Fire Red convert. (It's my love of battle frontier that keeps me away.) :P
Old 4th December 2013, 12:52 AM   #17
karatekid552
Ex-Staff

So, I need more help finding bugs. I have squashed the poison heal issues (I haven't updated the rom yet, but the .asm files are done and tested), and next I think I'll deal with Moody, which is just a bad loop somewhere. So far, only mrdollsteak has been finding them.
Old 9th December 2013, 08:19 PM   #18
daniilS
VIP
PHO VIP

daniilS

I've read formes need to be rewritten completely... why? And is the current way of implementation documented somewhere?
Old 9th December 2013, 08:46 PM   #19
karatekid552
Ex-Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniilS View Post
I've read formes need to be rewritten completely... why? And is the current way of implementation documented somewhere?
Try using the formes. Almost all of them are broken.

Well, not completely. Most of the data, like stats and stuff, works great. It is graphics loading that doesn't. If the forme change code isn't on GitHub, let me know, and I will push the original stuff.
Old 9th December 2013, 09:11 PM   #20
daniilS
VIP
PHO VIP

daniilS

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
Try using the formes. Almost all of them are broken.

Well, not completely. Most of the data, like stats and stuff, works great. It is graphics loading that doesn't. If the forme change code isn't on GitHub, let me know, and I will push the original stuff.
The code is on there, don't worry. However, it may be me, but I don't really understand what all those routines do/are supposed to do, and how formes are stored.

Also, what about new evolution methods? Are they included? Are you using the format Hackmew offered some years ago?

EDIT: Also, shouldn't Deoxys and Rotom be listed in the same method of forme change category?

Last edited by daniilS; 9th December 2013 at 09:28 PM.

Tags
649, patch, [General]